Sunday, February 1, 2015

Checking in with Graphics and Gameplay Work, 2/1/15

I gave myself some projects to better understand UE4's shader system.
They call them Materials, and are applied to meshes through a drop-down
menu. Using a flow-chart-like interface you can take inputs like normals
 and positions and apply mathematical operations to them, and then
output them.

Flow Chart

It ends up looking like this.

I told the sphere objects to randomly choose from some of my other
test-materials, and when they spawn randomly around the environment they
choose a random material at creation, which which ends up looking like this.

I also added collision between the player and the physical mesh, so
touching it will delete it. Later I'll add the option for effects/sound
to play when it is destroyed.

Amier also added lots and lots of gameplay related work - he'll post about it soon :)

5 comments: